Nuclear and Particle Physics - Junior Honours
Part II - Particle Physics
- 13 Feb 2006 --- Welcome to Junior Honours Nuclear and Particle Physics
-- Part II: Particle Physics.
Information regarding this course -
Lecture notes, Tutorials, 0rganisation - will be available here.
- 31 March 2006 --- Solutions to problem sheets are availabele in room 4203.
- 20 March 2006 --- All lectures and problem sheets are uploaded.
Last lecture - Thu 23 March 10 am in LTC - will be a revision tutorial.
PLease come with all your questions.
- 13 March 2006 --- Additional lecture this week
Tuesday 14 March 3 - 4 pm in Lecture Theatre LTC
- 13 March 2006 --- Lectures 7 and problem sheet 3 are uploaded.
Additional hardcopies of all lecture notes and problem sheets
are available in room 4203.
- 27 Feb 2006 --- Revision tutorials on Part I --
Nuclear Physics will be held
in next week's usual tutorial slots --
Monday 6 March at 12 am in JCMB room 5327
and Tuesday 7 March at 2 pm in JCMB room 6301
- 27 Feb 2006 --- Lectures 1 to 4 and Problem sheets 1 and 2 are uploaded.
- I've made a list of links to useful Particle Physics web pages. Please try it out and
enter the fascinating world of Particle Physics.
- Lectures take place at 10-11 am in Lecture Theatre C in JCMB
on Mondays and Thursdays at 10-11 am
- Tutorials are
Mondays at 12 am in JCMB room 5327
and Tuesday at 2 pm in JCMB room 6301
- I will be available in my office, 4407 JCMB, to discuss matters
relating to the course for one hour at 3 pm on Tuesdays;
of course you can try also at other times but I may not be there.
- You can telephone me on 50 5235 or e-mail me at
The outline of the course is given
Lecture notes are available after each lecture as .pdf files.
Hardcopies are available upon request.
| Lecture 1 --- view ---
| Lecture 2 --- view ---
|| Experimental Techniques, Theoretical Concepts
| Lecture 3 --- view ---
|| Quantum Electrodynamics, Feynman Diagrams
| Lecture 4 --- view ---
|| Interactions with Matter, Accelerators, Detectors
| Lectures 5&6 --- view ---
|| Quantum Chromodynamics, e+e- Annihilation, Charmonium,
Deep Inelastic Scattering
| Lecture 7 --- view ---
|| Quark Model, Isospin, Strangeness
| Lecture 8 --- view ---
|| Weak Interaction, Charged Currents
| Lecture 9 --- view ---
|| Neutrinos, Neutrino Oscillations
| Lecture 10 --- view ---
|| Z and W Bosons, Electroweak Theory, Higgs
The following typos or errors in the handouts
have been corrected in the online notes. Please email me, if you spot
- Lecture 2, p.9 - s instead of sqrt(s) equation on top
- Lecture 2, p.14 - exp[-i(E t - p x) ] at bottom of page
- Lecture 2, p.15 - Halzen/Martin p.80
- Lecture 4, p.4 - DeltaE proportional to gamma^4
- Lecture 9 p.6 - E_i = p_i + m_i^2/2p_i
Tutorial question sheets are given below. Outline answers
will be distributed in week 11.
| Problem Sheet 1
|| Introduction, Measuring Techniques
| Problem Sheet 2
|| Quantum Electrodynamics, Interaction with Matter, Accelerators, Detectors
| Problem Sheet 3
|| Quantum Chromodynamics, e+e- Annihilations, DIS, Quark Model |
Typo in hardcopy: "Problem Sheet 2" instead of " ... 3" --- corrected in online version
| Problem Sheet 4
|| Weak Interactions, Neutrinos, W and Z Bosons